By Sun Narin
Studying Journalism at the Department of Media and Communication is really interesting and beneficial for me. At the time of studying there, I have chance to practice and master writing by working as a freelancer for Lift magazine, the supplement to the Phnom Penh Post. I have been working there for nearly one year. I have produced a lot of articles relevant to social issue including illegal migration, school issue, youth issue and so on.
I am also the senior student at the Institute of Foreign Languages. I always take my time to write the articles for Lift magazine and my friends always ask me why I have to write for Lift. Sometimes, they just tease me about what I am doing. For me what I am doing I always think is beneficial for me. It is true, experience helps me a lot in my study. I was selected to intern abroad due to my experience of working for Lift.
If you think what you are doing is right and beneficial for you, just do it and it will return you with good results…….
Below are the questions that I prepared for the interview and some tips for the interview at DMC:
Why do you think you should be selected for this internship?
Well, it is challenging and competitive to win internship abroad, but I think I will based on my enough and special qualifications including:
– Experience: I have sufficient experience related to print media. I am now working for Lift magazine which is the supplement to the Phnom Penh Post newspaper. I have been working there for nearly one year. I have improved a lot with my writing, English and got a lot of article published. Moreover, during the two months internship last year, I did the internship at the Phnom Penh POst which I was able to do my things such as translation, writing hot news and feature story, working with foreign journalist, going to the province and I got a number of articles published. I also have experience working with Wall Street Journal Journalist to do the story on the Stampede, Mega growth of Phnom Penh and Enemies of the People. I also write in Khmer for local Popular magazine.
– Class performance: active participation (communication in the class with teacher and students) and gain high score in print media and other subjects, and the way I perform at school is the way like I am a journalist.
– English capability: I am able to communicate and write in English. I know how to use formal and authentic language for the writing, so it helps me a lot if I have chance to do internship abroad. It is easy to work with other foreigners as experienced working with foreign journalist and writing article in English.
– Strong interest and personality in media: going abroad is my dream since I was young, though my parent’s aversion to this job, but I can study this cos I persuade her.
What will you expect to learn there?
It is great chance to learn a lot of new things I believe. I am going to learn:
– Learn about media situation in other country. How is it different from CAmbodia?
– Learn how to work with foreign journalists more
– Improve writing more in a way of international writing
– Build a lot of network there which is very important for the journalist
– write the articles as many as I can for the publication both about Cambodia and other countries
– Learn about culture abroad at the same time.
What will you do when you come back?
Sharing knowledge is the culture of Cambodian students. For me, I will share what I have learned and experienced there with my media students at DMC, other friends and my family. To let them know about every thing there. I also have my small project after coming back. I am going to set up an alumini of DMC students who experienced doing internship abroad, so that we can share knowledge with each other. I can create blog, group mail, contact each other and share knowledge. Writing in my blog and write my experience in Lift magazine
– Put what I have learned in the foreign standards into Cambodian context in all the communication skill.
Why do you like to internship abroad?
Well going abroad to learn is my dream since I was young as the time I watched and read sth related to the life of media people working abroad. I really want to go there. So internship is priceless for me:
– It is a great chance for me to learn the international media context which is better than Cambodia and share what I have learned in my country.
– It is time for me to develop myself and get to know foreigner media and journalists.
– It can for me to get experience abroad which is very important for me to work in the local as the journalist since I have not gone abroad before to learn and work with any media company.
– I will become the person who can share the knowledge with other people. It is time to tell my parents that working in media is not bad cos we have chance to go abroad like that.
Why do you like print media?
– Cos writing is my interest and becoming a journalist is my wish.
– and after I have been involved with writing news in English for Lift and other media, I feel like it more.
– In addition, print media in CAmbodia is not good since unprofessional journalists, so I have work in the field, I may have chance to improve it.
How do you learn from working with Wall Street Journal?
– learn how to write a good story
– how to do the story with professional foreign journalist
– Learn more about how to interview people
– The life of good journalist
– How to use language for the story
What do you know about media in Cambodia? in Malaysia? Germany? Phillipines? Thailand and Jarkata?
– Be well-prepared with the evidence you want to show such as bylines of the articles, making sure what you say with evidence.
– Speak what is convincing. Do not speak less.
– Be confident